Mango Chicken Salad
Come summer, Carolyn Black of Richmond, British Columbia likes to pack this refreshing salad for a picnic lunch. She notes, "Each of the ingredients can be stored in a separate container in a cooler and assembled at the picnic. It's always a hit."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 2 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 4 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced cucumber
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each), grilled and thinly sliced
- MANGO SALAD DRESSING:
- 2 large ripe mangoes or 4 medium peaches, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- Divide lettuce and salad greens among six plates. Top with the tomatoes, cucumber and chicken.
- In a blender, combine the mangos, lime juice, salt and cayenne; cover and process until smooth. Serve with salad. Sprinkle with sunflower kernels.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 221 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Mango Chicken Salad in Light & Tasty February/March 2004