I made this fresh, colorful mango salad on the fly and it was a big hit! The bright flavor is perfect for a spring or summer picnic, served right away or chilled. —Dan Wellberg, Elk River, Minnesota
Recommended: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 medium limes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until barley is tender, 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Finely grate enough peel from limes to measure 1 teaspoon. Cut limes crosswise in half; squeeze juice from limes. In a small bowl, whisk lime juice, lime zest, oil, mustard, honey, salt, cumin and pepper until blended.
- In a large bowl, combine barley, peppers, onion, mango and cilantro. Add dressing; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mango Barley Salad in Taste of Home April/May 2018