Mandarin Romaine Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 9 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, sugar, vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper and pepper sauce; shake well.
- Just before serving, sprinkle salad with pecans. Shake dressing and pour over salad; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 139 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 3, 2014
My family always asks me to make this salad. I am generous with the hot pepper sauce to further accent the contrast between the sweet and spicy.
May 25, 2011
This is the best salad and dressing ever. I usually add strawberries and blueberries with the mandarin oranges. I haven't used the water chestnuts. I add grilled chicken, too. I have made this several times for lunch and dinner. This is a big favorite in my family.
Jul 10, 2009
This is our family's favorite! I am asked for the recipe every time I make it.Pamela Smith
Apr 14, 2009
I would eat this every day if I could!! I served it with Easter dinner and everyone enjoyed it. The next time I make it, I will add another tbsp. of raspberry vinegar as the raspberry taste wasn't quite strong enough for me. I used 1/4 tsp. of hot pepper sauce and that gave it a nice little bite! Thanks for the recipe!