Mandarin Romaine Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 9 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, sugar, vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper and pepper sauce; shake well.
- Just before serving, sprinkle salad with pecans. Shake dressing and pour over salad; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 139 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
May 3, 2014
My family always asks me to make this salad. I am generous with the hot pepper sauce to further accent the contrast between the sweet and spicy.
May 25, 2011
This is the best salad and dressing ever. I usually add strawberries and blueberries with the mandarin oranges. I haven't used the water chestnuts. I add grilled chicken, too. I have made this several times for lunch and dinner. This is a big favorite in my family.
Jul 10, 2009
This is our family's favorite! I am asked for the recipe every time I make it.Pamela Smith
Apr 14, 2009
I would eat this every day if I could!! I served it with Easter dinner and everyone enjoyed it. The next time I make it, I will add another tbsp. of raspberry vinegar as the raspberry taste wasn't quite strong enough for me. I used 1/4 tsp. of hot pepper sauce and that gave it a nice little bite! Thanks for the recipe!