Mandarin Orange Breakfast Bites
These taste like doughnuts without the hassle of rolling out and frying. Our daughter likes me to have them waiting for her and her friends after school.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained and diced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk and extract. Stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Fold in oranges.
- Fill greased or paper-lined miniature muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Dip tops of warm muffins in melted butter, then in cinnamon-sugar.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 215 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Mandarin Orange Breakfast Bites in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.