Mandarin Barley Salad
Think barley is boring? You won't after you've tried this salad. I've fount it's still yummy the second day.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Cook barley according to package directions; drain and cool. In a bowl, combine the barley, mushrooms, celery and onions. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, soy sauce and salt; shake well. Pour over barley mixture and stir to coat. Gently stir in oranges and almonds. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 278 calories, 18g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Mandarin Barley Salad in Country Extra January 2005
Sep 29, 2013
I loved this recipe! The combination of the almonds and oranges was over-the-top!
Jun 26, 2009
super way to add fiber and grains to your diet...and very tasty too111
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.