Mandarin Avocado Toss
A perky blend of colors, shapes and textures makes this salad appealing to adults and children alike. My family requests it for its juicy oranges, smooth avocado slices and crunchy almonds and sunflower kernels. It's a breeze to prepare and an ideal luncheon item.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 to 2 green onions, chopped
- In a small skillet, saute sunflower kernels and almonds in butter. Cool. Meanwhile, in a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, mustard and garlic; shake well. In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuce, oranges, avocado, onions and sunflower kernel mixture. Drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 311 calories, 29g fat (5g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 8, 2018
I thought this was a pretty good salad, and I really liked the crunchy almonds and sunflower seeds. My family is weird about fruit in salads, so it wasn't their favorite.