Mamaw Emily’s Strawberry Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, gelatin, sugar and flour. Add water, oil and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fold in chopped strawberries. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in crushed strawberries. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 532 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (69g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 29, 2019
I've made a similar recipe before and it called for 3-8" pans, not 2. Using 2, it took almost 20 minutes longer to bake than recipe time. I used aluminum pans. Also, ingredients we're missing from main list and only mentioned in video. Other than that, it's tasty and still moist with extra baking time. I did like folding in chopped berries to cake instead of using mixer.
May 13, 2019
I just made this and it is VERY good. Unfortunately I did not have small pans so I made it in a bunt cake pan and I failed. It was so moist it fell apart. I'm not a baker so I'm sure I did something wrong. So we had a deconstructed cake for mother's day lol. Tastes amazing. The butter cream was the best ever!
May 3, 2019
I made this cake for two February birthdays - it was a HUGE hit and it looked so pretty! Greetings from White Rock, B.C. Canada!
Apr 23, 2019
I made the cake twice as directed, and the taste was fantastic, but it collapsed. So I made it as a sheet cake and have gotten rave reviews from my co-workers. Tastes delicious!
Apr 23, 2019
What a wonderful cake! Easy to make and just delicious! The addition of fresh strawberries in the batter added so much fresh flavor, and the strawberry buttercream frosting is just wonderful. This cake is moist, delicious and packed with strawberry goodness. Its a perfect warm weather dessert when strawberries are at their peak and something I will definitely make again and again!
Apr 20, 2019
I followed the recipe exactly as written. Mine turned out very moist and would not hold together. Not sure what I did wrong. The taste is good. I made sure the toothpick came out clean. My husband thinks it did not bake long enough. I was wondering if I cut the strawberries too small and had too many. The frosting was fine using almost 5 cups of sugar.
Mar 30, 2019
This cake was delicious! I made a sheet cake instead of a layer cake so it took a good 15 minutes or so longer to cook. The cake was still super moist! I also drained the crushed strawberries before adding them to the icing and added 4 ounces of cream cheese as some suggested - perfection! I will definitely be making this one again!!
Mar 24, 2019
I had to toss the cake in the garbage. It didn't bake all the way, I tried to add some time, but that didn't work either. I have been baked for over 50 years and the only other cake I had to toss was when I was in my teens. I have no idea what I did wrong, the flavor was there but it would not setup. Good luck.
Mar 21, 2019
Oh my gosh this is the best strawberry cake ever! I added 6 ounces of cream cheese to the frosting....uh...heavenly. 5 stars!
Mar 20, 2019
Excellent cake! So moist and flavorful, it's hard to just stop at one piece. After reading several of the reviews, I added two ounces of cream cheese to the frosting and let the strawberries, for the frosting, sit in a strainer while the cake was baking. With making those small changes, it turned out beautiful and absolutely delicious. It is now in my permanent cake recipe file.