VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle chicken with cumin, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs with remaining garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken pieces in flour to coat all sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg, then in crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in butter. Add chicken in batches; cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink, 30-35 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Mama's Puerto Rican Chicken in Taste of Home April/May 2018