- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium)
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- In a large kettle, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and cool. Peel potatoes; cut into chunks. Separate egg yolks from whites. Set yolks aside. Chop whites and add to potatoes with onion.
- In a small bowl, mash yolks. Stir in mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes; toss well. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Spoon into a serving bowl. Garnish with egg slices and paprika. Chill until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forMama's Potato Salad
"Very close to my potato salad - but have never used milk nor sugar in mine. I do use 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar that is poured over the hot, peeled and slashed potatoes and then put into the fridge to marinate over night. Then I add the rest of the ingredients. I only use 1/2 teaspoon of mustard though or it takes over the salad. Oh - I dice my onion and it's a red one. My hard-boiled eggs are sliced and then stirred into the salad with some placed on top for presentation."
"I made half the recipe and it did not taste good. The mustard over took the taste of everything in salad."
"Made this for the first time today with company coming over. Everyone loved it!"
"this looks like something our family will LOVE. it's getting made for tomorrow's picnic :)unfortunately husband said "stick to your own recipe this one has no flavor"he was right, it got dumped"
"This was good. I subbed onion powder for the chopped onion so it wouldn't overpower and added a bit of sweet relish and celery seed. Thumbs up!"
"I feel like if I would have omitted the milk, sugar and vinegar it would've been sooo much better. It was extremely runny even after refrigerated."
"We Really Love this version. Reminds me a lot of the potato salad I had growing up in Oklahoma."
"Too sweet! But I like this recipe and will make it again. Next time I will reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons.. I will also add some things to give it a little color. Probably a couple sliced green onions and a can of sliced olives. Good salad and less work than my old way of making potatoes salad."
"Excellent Penn-Dutch style potato salad. I made 1-1/2 times the dressing for 14 potatoes, but kept the sugar at 1/4 cup. A definite keeper!"
"Very good recipe, had many complements on this potato salad!"