- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium)
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- In a large kettle, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and cool. Peel potatoes; cut into chunks. Separate egg yolks from whites. Set yolks aside. Chop whites and add to potatoes with onion.
- In a small bowl, mash yolks. Stir in mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes; toss well. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Spoon into a serving bowl. Garnish with egg slices and paprika. Chill until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forMama's Potato Salad
"This is the way I make it except for the boiled eggs. I do include celery. Only good comments"
"I'm curious why there is no celery is in this potato salad. I always have celery in mine. There is too much mustard in this recipe."
"Try 1/4 cup or less of regular milk! We also add 1/2 c diced celery (or celery seed 2 tsp) and about a 1/2 c to 3/4 c of sweet pickle relish! Devine! Mid-West (Ohio) is where I was raised and still live!"
"This is very similar to the potato salad my mother made as well, except no milk, and just chopped up the eggs, no separating them. Nice to have proportions as my mom just added a little of this a little of that!"
"That's the my mother made it just like that . And that's the only way I eat it see my mother was from sherfield Alabama and my father they they came to Chicago 1930 and later marry 1946 and then came us my siblings and me baby girl in the family our parents stay in Chicago all us born in Chicago . I finally have friend like you I Love mutards potatoes salads your Anne Maria Kimble"
"We tried this recipe when I came across it and it is divine. It has now become our go-to potato salad recipe. The only difference is we use wholegrain mustard. Yummy!"
"This is exactly how my family makes it also!! Best ever!!"
"Very close to my potato salad - but have never used milk nor sugar in mine. I do use 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar that is poured over the hot, peeled and slashed potatoes and then put into the fridge to marinate over night. Then I add the rest of the ingredients. I only use 1/2 teaspoon of mustard though or it takes over the salad. Oh - I dice my onion and it's a red one. My hard-boiled eggs are sliced and then stirred into the salad with some placed on top for presentation."
"I made half the recipe and it did not taste good. The mustard over took the taste of everything in salad."