- 4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 large marshmallows, halved lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place sweet potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl.
- Beat potatoes until smooth. Add all remaining ingredients, except marshmallows; beat until blended.
- Spread into a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 40-45 minutes. Increase oven setting to 425°.
- Top casserole with marshmallows. Bake until marshmallows are lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forMallow-Topped Sweet Potatoes
"Just like Mom's!"
"I made this for my daughter-in-law's family in Argentina several years ago. Since then this is the one dish they ask for every time I visit."
"Very appealing look, but much better recipes are out there."
"Every year I try a different sweet potato recipe. Well, I have finally find one that I will stick with. Great side dish."
"I used half evaporated milk and half water because I didn't have 2%. Also, since I only had 2 sweet potatoes, I cut everything down to a 1/3 to make it enough for 2."
"Very good. I had to use the mini mashmellows. It was a big hit I made it for Thanksgiving."
"My family LOVES this recipe! Great for Holidays!"
"Good and easy and yes I will make it again."
"I make this recipe during the course of the year. Instead of topping with marshmallows, I use marshmallow creme & spread on top of the casserole."