Makeover White Layer Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 1% milk
- Coat two 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar for about 2 minutes or until crumbly. Gradually add egg whites, beating well. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to batter alternately with buttermilk until combined.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, butter, corn syrup, vanilla and salt. Beat in enough milk until frosting achieves spreading consistency. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 330 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 3, 2014
I liked this cake. It is moist and spongy. It is still moist and spongy the morning after. I did not use the frosting int he recipe as my daughter wanted chocolate. But the cake is pretty tasty.
Sep 2, 2008
The cake had no flavor, (the frosting was ok) I will never make again!!!