VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 1% buttermilk
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 1% milk
- Coat two 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar for about 2 minutes or until crumbly. Gradually add egg whites, beating well. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to batter alternately with buttermilk until combined.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, butter, corn syrup, vanilla and salt. Beat in enough milk until frosting achieves spreading consistency. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Makeover White Layer Cake in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p17
Reviews forMakeover White Layer Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 2, 2008
"The cake had no flavor, (the frosting was ok) I will never make again!!!"