Makeover White Fruitcake Recipe
A beloved fruitcake recipe has been passed down through the generations, and I've made it lighter and brighter. I remember my mother making this every December—it just wouldn’t be Christmas in our home without it. —Judy Grebetz, Racine, Wisconsin
- 3/4 cup red candied cherries
- 3/4 cup green candied cherries
- 1-1/4 cups brandy, divided
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 1-1/2 cups golden raisins
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1. In a small bowl, combine cherries and 1/4 cup brandy; let stand overnight. Place eight egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in remaining brandy. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture alternately with applesauce.
- 3. With clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Fold in the cherry mixture, almonds, raisins and coconut. Gently spoon into a 10-in. tube pan with removable bottom coated with cooking spray. Bake at 300° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 4. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 20 servings.
1 slice: 352 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Makeover White Fruitcake
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC