- 3/4 cup red candied cherries
- 3/4 cup green candied cherries
- 1-1/4 cups brandy, divided
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 1-1/2 cups golden raisins
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- In a small bowl, combine cherries and 1/4 cup brandy; let stand overnight. Place eight egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in remaining brandy. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture alternately with applesauce.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Fold in the cherry mixture, almonds, raisins and coconut. Gently spoon into a 10-in. tube pan with removable bottom coated with cooking spray. Bake at 300° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Makeover White Fruitcake in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013, p22
Reviews for Makeover White Fruitcake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review