Makeover White Fruitcake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 3/4 cup red candied cherries
- 3/4 cup green candied cherries
- 1-1/4 cups brandy, divided
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 1-1/2 cups golden raisins
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a small bowl, combine cherries and 1/4 cup brandy; let stand overnight. Place eight egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in remaining brandy. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture alternately with applesauce.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Fold in the cherry mixture, almonds, raisins and coconut. Gently spoon into a 10-in. tube pan with removable bottom coated with cooking spray. Bake at 300° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 352 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 16, 2019
Martha Washington's Great Cake is richer and tastier than a fruit cake. Check out Nelly Custis Lewis' recipe from her Housekeeping Book Originally, 40 eggs, 10lbs of butters. tons of madeira