Makeover White Christmas Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/8 teaspoon rum extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate until melted. Cool for 20 minutes. Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and coat the paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the applesauce, extract and reserved chocolate mixture (batter will appear curdled). Combine the flours, baking powder and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in pecans and coconut.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and chocolate until blended. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 396 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
May 5, 2011
I had to look this one up to make again - it's a DELICIOUS cake!
Mar 26, 2009
I made this cake for a group of gals and they all loved it. I served it with ice cream. I went to Salt Lake city for Christmas and made it for the family and they all loved it too.
Dec 26, 2008
I did not like this cake at all... it was a huge disappointment. I will return to my tried-and-true Italian Cream Cake recipe. Sorry.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.