Makeover Ultimate Corn Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, beat the egg, egg white, buttermilk, milk, applesauce, butter, honey and butter flavoring if desired; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 200 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 419mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Feb 6, 2012
This is my go to cornbread recipe. Not only is it healthier, it is very delicious. I love the tiny bit of sweet flavor with the honey. This cornbread has also turned out well every time I have made it, have never had any problems. Love it!!!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.