Makeover Two-Tone Spice Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- SOUR CREAM FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper. Coat pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, allspice and nutmeg. Add to the butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Stir in nuts. Spread into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Place one cake layer on a serving platter; top with half of the frosting. Repeat layers.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool for 2 minutes; drizzle over cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 303 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 30, 2012
I didn't have cake flour but used all purpose flour substituted appropriately. It turned out delicious!
Sep 17, 2012
Everyone loved this cake. I made it for my sister's birthday. She wanted a healthier cake. I did use pure pumpkin instead of applesauce. Also I did use splenda brown sugar vs plain brown sugar. Next time I want to try this recipe using greek non fat yogurt as a substitute for the sour cream.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.