Makeover Toasted Granola
My family likes this granola in so many ways. We sprinkle it over yogurt and ice cream, we eat it with milk like cereal, and we love to just eat it right from the container! —Susan Lajeunesse, Colchester, Vermont
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups bran flakes
- 1 jar (12 ounces) toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, bring brown sugar and water to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the oats, bran flakes, wheat germ, flour and salt. Stir oil and vanilla into sugar mixture; pour over oat mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to two 15x10x1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 250° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until dry and lightly browned, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 202 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Makeover Granola in Light & Tasty August/September 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.