Makeover Tater-Topped Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 3/4 cup french-fried onions
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 4 cups frozen Tater Tots, thawed
- In a large skillet, cook beef and turkey over medium heat until no longer pink. In a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer the meat mixture, vegetables and french-fried onions.
- In a small bowl, combine soups and milk; spread over onions. Top with Tater Tots. Bake, uncovered, at 350° until golden brown, 55-60 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 340 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 12, 2019
I made this last night but halved the recipe in an 8x8 dish. I used a pound of ground turkey (adding 1 Tbsp. of Kitchen Bouquet to color to look like ground beef, some dried minced onion, seasoning salt, black pepper and garlic powder) while the meat was browning. I layered everything as specified in the recipe but used 1 can of condensed Cheddar cheese soup because I was out of the two in the recipe and so many reviewers added cheese. Next time I would thin the soup a little more so that it would sink through the layers to the meat layer because that was a little dry. I really liked the simplicity of the preparation and we both enjoyed the taste so I'll definitely make this one again.
Jan 28, 2019
I used all ground beef, didn't have turkey, friend some onions and garlic in with the beef. I also added cheese on top of the soups, used shredded "taco" cheese and the the tater tots. It was great.
Jan 22, 2019
I make this casserole with veggie tots and french fried onions. Being from Wisconsin you have to add mozzarella cheese!
Jan 2, 2019
I use "Veggie Tots" instead of "Tater tots" as the topping. It just adds more vegetables to the dish. I also just use ground turkey and I skip the french fried onions.
Nov 29, 2018
I made this for dinner last night and this recipe is a "keeper" . I made a few changes: I used all ground turkey instead of the ground beef and ground turkey combination and I used the regular condensed soups (not the reduced fat/sodium soups) and I used condensed cream of mushroom instead of the cream of celery (because that is what I had on hand). When I make this again, I want to try adding shredded cheese as well as some sauteed mushrooms. This is a delicious and easy to prepare meal ..... we have plenty of left overs as well ..... five stars for sure!
Nov 6, 2016
I've made this about 20 times. Leftovers are just as good.
Feb 6, 2013
very good. I also used reduced fat crm mushroom instead of celery; alot of flavor. Will add more onions next time.
Feb 4, 2013
This was a good! It lacked extra flavor. I added cheddar cheese on top of the soup and used celery instead of the mixed veggies. It was still delicious, but I would have liked a little more flavor.
Nov 4, 2012
Delicious! Added salt and pepper, and used cream of mushroom instead of the celery. We are in MN after all. Thanks!
Feb 21, 2012
now a family favorite!