Makeover Sweet Potato Sausage Skillet
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place potatoes and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, green pepper and onion in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cream, salt, pepper and potatoes; heat through. Drain pasta; stir into skillet. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 253 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 19, 2014
We really enjoyed this recipe, probably because we love sweet potatoes
Oct 2, 2012
<p>Yummy! I used white potato since I rarely have sweet potatoes; and milk with butter instead of half and half. My tomatoes had green chilis in them which really gave it a kick! I ended up thickening the sauce with a few tablespoons of flour because my milk curdled a bit, it saved the day! Oh! and I added some pinto beans and avocado :)</p>
Feb 3, 2011
It was easy to make and tasted good especially if you like sweet potatoes. The sausage along with the bell peppers and onions gave it enough flavor for our liking.
Feb 1, 2011
We did not care for this at all.
Dec 5, 2010
This was simple, and good. My kids loved it which says a lot. I agree it could use a little kick or something but if i make it for my kids they won't eat anything even remotely spicy. I was so happy that they liked it though!
Aug 28, 2010
We really liked this! I agree that a heat would be nice, but I thought the sausage added a lot of flavor. My husband thought the sweet potatoes and pasta together were a little weird, so next time I might just use another vegetable, like mushrooms.
Jul 31, 2010
Quick to make and very filling but, as another reviewer noted, kind of bland. Next time, I'm using tomatoes with green chilies and adding oregano. A hint of cayenne might be nice, too.
Jul 28, 2010
Easy, healthy ingredients, but bland. Needed some zip - if we make it again, will add either a bit of crushed red pepper or use a can of tomatoes with green chiles.
Jul 24, 2010
I had all the ingredients and it was quick. Other than that I can't rave about it. The flavor was good but nothing really stood out. The main flavor was the sausage and everything else kind of got lost. It's worth it to make once to see if you like it.