- 1 package (12 ounces) yolk-free noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 jar (10 ounces) apricot preserves
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Toss with butter and apple; set aside. Meanwhile, beat the sour cream, cream cheese, sugar, eggs, egg whites, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and vanilla until well blended. Beat in milk. Stir in noodle mixture.
- In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the noodle mixture, all of the preserves and the remaining noodle mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forMakeover Sweet Kugel
"I use yolk noodles because they are more traditional and nutritious . Also, cottage cheese is a good substitute. Mix it all up with corn flakes and canned pineapple. You can use the butter and eggs if you want but you may not need sugar if you get the sweetened canned pineapple with juice."