Makeover Summer Squash Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 3 pounds yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 reduced-fat butter-flavored crackers, crushed
- Place squash in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onions in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add squash; stir gently to combine. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, eggs, egg whites, milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Pour over squash mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole; bake 5 minutes longer or until crumbs are golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 210 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Aug 14, 2012
Definitely not a healthy recipe, delish!
Oct 17, 2011
sorry forgot to rate it!! It was delicious!!
Oct 17, 2011
it was delicious!!
Aug 31, 2011
I am in the process of making this. Sounds very good. I was wondering if I could freeze this after assembling and bake it later.
Jun 14, 2010
This is a great recipe to use up the abundance of summer squash in a garden. Like another lady, I used part cottage cheese and part cheddar cheese. My family also likes to add cooked sausage (sometimes bulk and sometimes sliced smoked sausage) to this recipe for an all in one dish. Thanks!
Jan 17, 2010
This recipe is very good and one my family requests often. I love making it and will do so many more times. It's a keeper, for sure.
Dec 6, 2009
This is a wonderful recipe. Like another reviewer, I didn't want as much cheese in the recipe (due to fat content) so I used about 1 c. of cheddar cheese and 1.5 cups of lowfat cottage cheese. It tastes great!
Oct 7, 2009
This is a wonderful dish my whole family enjoyed. Even my picky "I don't like veges" kids and grandkids loved it! I used 2 cups of shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese and was still cheesy enough for them. Will be making this on a regular basis.
Jul 6, 2009
My maiden name is Eldridge, Lisa. I have been looking for a lighter summr squash casserole for a while now. Thank you so much for sharing yours.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.