- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- COFFEE CAKE:
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the nuts, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and crumbly. Beat in the egg yolks, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to the sugar mixture alternately with sour cream. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until tiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour half of the batter into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray and floured; sprinkle with nut mixture. Pour in remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews forMakeover Streusel Coffee Cake
"This is a very moist cake. I took it to a church gathering and everyone loved it."