Makeover Strawberry Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper. Coat pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; set aside. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add egg whites and oil; beat until well blended.
- In a small bowl, mash strawberries in their juice. Set aside 3 tablespoons for icing. Add water and remaining berries to the batter; mix well.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine butter and reserved strawberries. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Place one cake layer on a serving platter; top with half of the icing. Repeat layers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 287 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 22, 2018
Moist cake with just the right amount of strawberry flavor. I made it in a 13x9 pan and topped it with store bought white frosting. Husband loved it and asked that I make it again.
Dec 10, 2011
Very sweet and tasty! I used dairy free margarine in the icing and it would not set up. Next time i might try the butter-flavored Crisco and see how that does.
Jun 20, 2011
Made this for Father's Day and got rave reviews! So moist and yummy. It's nice to have something other than chocolate and this totally hit the spot.
May 29, 2011
Pretty, yummy and light. The cake has a very NATURAL strawberry flavor. I added some strawberry jam to make the frosting more spreadable, so could use a little more pureed strawberries in the frosting. This cake would be perfect for a girl's birthday party or Valentines Day. Definately a keeper.
May 29, 2011
Great summer cake. Strawberry flavor is not overpowering. The berries are pureed so there are no chunks of berries in the cake. The taste reminded me of the Crunch Berries (cereal) I used to love when I was growing up!
Feb 6, 2011
I made this cake for the first time for a potluck and everyone loved it! I had mothers come up to me saying the cake was better than their grandmothers and mothers past on recipes. I know I will make this again, so easy and tastes great!
Sep 28, 2010
Made this for Father's Day. Everyone loved it. Would make it again.
Aug 29, 2010
I followed this recipe and the cake came out very moist, with plenty of icing.
Jul 9, 2010
Sorry, I really wanted to like this recipe but it was a dud. I followed the recipe exactly and the cake was dry. I wouldn't make it again.
May 14, 2010
Excellent recipe! My family LOVED this cake and designated it a definite keeper. After reading the other reviews, I added extra strawberry puree and a splash of skim milk to the icing.