Makeover Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Pockets
For an easy, upscale chicken dish, you'll love these spinach-stuffed chicken breasts. You can also double the recipe without much effort. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until wilted. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Stir in spreadable cheese, 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1/3 cup bread crumbs.
- Cut a pocket horizontally in the thickest part of each chicken breast. Fill with spinach mixture; secure with toothpicks.
- In a shallow bowl, toss remaining bread crumbs with salt, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk egg white and water. Dip both sides of chicken in egg white mixture, then in crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on each side. Place in oven; bake 15-18 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. Discard toothpicks before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed chicken breast half: 332 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 459mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Chicken Rolls in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.