Makeover Spiced Cocoa-Apple Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups grated peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, then egg whites, beating well after each addition. Beat in the buttermilk, applesauce and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled).
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and allspice; stir into butter mixture just until blended. Stir in the apples, walnuts and chips.
- Transfer to a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 270 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 23, 2013
I don't normally eat "healthy" desserts, but was pleasantly surprised when my mom made this. It was very good. Very moist, not at all heavy. And my mom didn't feel that the time prep time was that much for a made from scratch cake.
Feb 22, 2011
I forgot to add that I omitted the walnuts andsemisweet chocolate chips. The cake was verymoist. The adults loved the cake
Feb 22, 2011
I doubled the recipe. I added 4 tsps. of cinnamon. Kept the buttermilk for last. May have added 2/3 c. sugar extra and forgot the allspice. But the 2 cakes lasted for 3 days.
Apr 2, 2010
I don't think the result justified all the prep work needed. The cake was heavy and not moist, and could have used a stronger chocolate flavor. I served this to guests, so I covered each piece with whipped cream. This was a disappointing finish to what had otherwise been a delicious meal.
Oct 7, 2009
There was a lot of prep time involved and I found the cake "ho-hum". There was just something I couldn't put my finger on that didn't set right and I think it could have been the spicyness. I made it for the 1st time for some company and they felt the same way.
Jan 24, 2009
I made this cake and although it required a lot of ingredients and prep time, it was well worth the time. My 3 1/2 year old daughter said it was delicious and of course, did not know, it was a reduced lighter version of an original.