Makeover Spice Crumb Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-3/4 teaspoons each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, egg whites, buttermilk, oil, applesauce and molasses. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, spices, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- For topping, combine the brown sugar, flour and spices in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 249 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 5, 2012
This is terrific. I actually made it even lower in fat but using egg substitute. We love this cake! Oh, and I found a 13x9 pan worked just fine.
Apr 28, 2011
This is a family favorite coffee cake. I have found, however that the 13x9 pan isn't large enough. I either use two 9" or a 15X10. Also, my kids like it best when I use only cinnamon & omit the nutmeg & cloves.