Makeover Spice Crumb Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-3/4 teaspoons each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, egg whites, buttermilk, oil, applesauce and molasses. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, spices, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- For topping, combine the brown sugar, flour and spices in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 249 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 5, 2012
This is terrific. I actually made it even lower in fat but using egg substitute. We love this cake! Oh, and I found a 13x9 pan worked just fine.
Apr 28, 2011
This is a family favorite coffee cake. I have found, however that the 13x9 pan isn't large enough. I either use two 9" or a 15X10. Also, my kids like it best when I use only cinnamon & omit the nutmeg & cloves.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.