- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg, then egg whites, beating well after each addition. Stir in the lemon juice, lemon peel and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in walnuts.
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; add batter. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forMakeover Sour Cream Coffee Cake
"A very nice coffee cake with light buttery and lemon flavor. I only used 1 cup sugar. It turned out just the way we liked it. Great for family gatherings. Thanks for sharing."
"A great makeover recipe! This is delicious! I used vanilla yogurt in place of the sour cream & cut the sugar by half. I also added 3 cups of chopped apples. The cake itself is moist & delicious. The apples make it even better :) Oh, I used a full cup of walnuts!"
"I substitued Splenda for sugar. I also omitted the lemon juice and lemon rind since we are not fond of lemon. Using Splenda has got to bring down the calorie level somewhat. The cake turn out moist and just fabulous. My husband and I love it."