Makeover Shrimp Rice Casserole
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/3 cups fat-free milk
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute shrimp in 1 tablespoon butter for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, green pepper and onion in remaining butter until tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt and cayenne. Gradually add milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the rice, 1/2 cup cheese and shrimp; stir until combined.
- Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 318 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Oct 2, 2017
Really not impressed.
Nov 10, 2015
I was really low on milk so I did annoying thing that totally made a new recipe, but it was SO good I wanted to share: 1. Follow step 1. 2. Add about 2-3 T tomato paste, stir and cook 1-2 minutes. Then add flour, salt and cook. 3. Deglaze with half a cup of chicken broth. Add about 12 oz diced tomatoes and juices, stir and taste, and add more chicken broth if you'd like. 4. Add some some hot sauce and keep going with the recipe. It was a huge hit. I thought toasted breadcrumbs or croutons on top might have been nice for some crunch, too. Win!
Jan 14, 2015
Blind! I am against Rice and Roni but it has more flavor then this homede version it.
Apr 28, 2014
Very tasty! I used some garlic in this dish, too.
Feb 17, 2013
Very good. Very flavorful. Would be great for company. We like our food on the spicy side and would add more cayene pepper next time.
May 24, 2012
I used jalapenos (seeded) instead of green bell peppers because that was what I had on hand. I also bumped up the cayenne to 1/4 tsp. Spicy but not enough to lose the taste of the shrimp. love it!
Mar 22, 2012
Could you use chicken instead of shrimp?
Feb 4, 2012
I added some snow peas as well as some Old Bay to this recipe and it was a winner! The family approved it for a future meal.
Dec 11, 2011
<p>We just love this recipe! It makes such a nice change of pace on a week night and we can use frozen uncooked shrimp stored in the freezer. Add a little more cayenne for an extra kick.</p>
Dec 4, 2011