Makeover Shrimp and Grits
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) plus 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 2 center-cut bacon strips
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring the can of broth, water and half-and-half to a boil. Slowly whisk in grits. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and pepper. Add shrimp, a few at a time, and shake to coat; set aside.
- Saute mushrooms in the bacon drippings until tender. Add the onions, garlic and shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink. Stir in the lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon pepper sauce and remaining broth.
- Stir the cheeses, butter, white pepper and remaining pepper sauce into the grits. Serve with shrimp mixture. Top with reserved bacon.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 423 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 165mg cholesterol, 784mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Mar 8, 2016
DH made this recipe, and is leaving it up to me to tell you how delicious this was. The grits were light and fluffy. I liked the addition of the vegetables to the shrimp; it was more filling and interesting to eat...different tastes with each bite! I hope to enjoy them again!!!
Apr 23, 2015
My family loved it, I could have made the grits a tad bit creamier.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.