Makeover Seven-Grain Cereal Bread
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1/2 cup seven-grain cereal
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 6-1/4 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 2 large eggs
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine cereal and water. Cover and cook on high for 4 minutes (mixture will be liquidy). Stir in molasses and butter. Let stand until mixture cools to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt and yeast. Add cereal mixture to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two 9x5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 145 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 29, 2015
This is very good. Ive made it 2 times now, once with the molasses. Oh so wonderful, toasted with jam. And Ive made it without the molasses. Just as good as with, but I think without is better for sandwiches than with. But I can see myself keeping both with and without on my bread shelf. I was really surprised with the rise time. Not only rises in less then 45 min. but its only got the 1 rise. I dont normally bake bread with yeast, more of a sourdough person, but this was so quick and easy, I may put my starter away for a while.
Sep 11, 2013
i have made this recipe many times and i cant begin to tell how much i enjoy eating this fabulous bread especially toasted..thank you Maggiee
Apr 8, 2012
I'm not much of a baker, but this turned out delicious: sweet, nutty, and light. Yum!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.