Makeover Sausage-Stuffed Peppers
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 4 medium green peppers
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, cut tops from peppers; chop tops, discarding stems, and set aside. Remove seeds from peppers.
- In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, celery, shallot and chopped green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the rice, soy sauce, chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne. Spoon into peppers. Place in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed pepper: 359 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 2 vegetable.
Apr 21, 2019
I stuff pre-cooked (boiled) whole green bell peppers with a mix of bread crumbs, chorizo sausage, white or yellow rice and red enchilada sauce...if I can't get bulk sausage I remove meat from the sausage links...Heat in the oven until hot and add cheddar or Mex blend cheese topping...