When I tried this makeover version of stuffed peppers, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I don't usually like them, but my husband loves them. We preferred them with yellow and red bell peppers instead of green. —Tami Kuehl, Loup City, Nebraska
Recommended: 67 Healthy Comfort Food Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 4 medium green peppers
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, cut tops from peppers; chop tops, discarding stems, and set aside. Remove seeds from peppers.
- In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, celery, shallot and chopped green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the rice, soy sauce, chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne. Spoon into peppers. Place in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Sausage-Stuffed Peppers in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2014