Makeover Sausage & Spinach Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1 frozen deep-dish pie shell
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 4 minutes. Remove foil; bake 4 minutes longer. Remove from the oven; reduce heat to 375°.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, whisk the egg substitute, spinach, cheeses, pepper and cooked sausage. Pour into crust. Place pie on a baking sheet. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 282 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 563mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2016
This was good but hubby an I thought it was a little dry and bland. I will add some onions and garlic next time when browning the meat and use cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese.
Aug 12, 2010
Quite frankly I was getting tired of making zucchini dishes and wanted to do something different. The only change I made was buying regular italian sausage due to store inavailability. In purchasing the ingredients I realized that I would have enough to make two at the same time (just had to purchase another box of spinach). It was easy to prepare and best part, it was delicious! I cut up the extra pie and put in containers to freeze for work-time lunches.
Mar 24, 2010
This was really good. I didn't have all the ingredients on hand when I made it so I substitued egg beaters for 4 whole eggs. I also substituted the mozarella cheese for cheddar cheese. I substituted ricotta cheese for cottage cheese and last, I didn't even have sausages! So, then I had some pepperoni, so I used that instead. Despite all the switcheroos, it turned out GREAT! My whole family loved it even though my husband said, "Wow, it looks awfully green!"