Makeover Sausage Pecan Stuffing
Nothing about this moist, pecan-topped stuffing says "lighter." Fabulous flavors! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) day-old white bread, cubed
- 1 large tart apple, chopped
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a Dutch oven, cook the turkey, mushrooms, celery, onion, fennel seed, cayenne and nutmeg over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread, apple, sage, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper. Whisk eggs and broth; pour over bread mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top is lightly browned and a thermometer reads 160°.