This hearty dish is a Christmas Eve tradition at our house. It also makes an awesome breakfast bake, so any leftovers are great for Christmas morning! — Shannon Jones, Ashland, Virginia
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, onion, fennel seed, salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. In a small bowl, combine soup and milk.
- In a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the potatoes, soup mixture, sausage mixture and cheeses. Top with remaining potatoes, soup mixture and sausage mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until bubbly and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Sausage & Potato Bake in Healthy Cooking December/January 2012, p28
Reviews forMakeover Sausage & Potato Bake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review