Makeover Rum Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; add pecans. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, milk, rum, oil, applesauce and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine glaze ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 251 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 243mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 21, 2016
Its good. It doesn't taste light per se, but is heavy on the yellow boxed cake mix flavor. I halved the glaze, and it was the perfect amount (unless you want extra to put on individual slices). The individual slices crumbled easily when cut, but the cake as a whole stays together nicely.
Apr 11, 2015
our favorite cake
Jan 7, 2014
I made this rum cake for my family on new years eve, and it taste so good so i made another one the week after for my best friend she wanted the recipe so i shared the website with her.:-)
Dec 29, 2013
I made this cake for the first time and it turned out great! I followed the recipe exactly as written only using 2% milk instead of fat-free. I will definitely make this again!
Jun 21, 2011
So good and so easy!
Feb 2, 2011
I made this several times over the holidays and each time there was nothing left over to take home. Also, no one knew it the healthy version. Once, I mention that I had people asking me for the recipe.
Dec 21, 2010
Fantastic! Not just delicious, but beautiful, too.
Nov 27, 2010
This is a wonderful recipe, I've made this 4 times in the last 3-4 weeks, a great cake to take to work or give to hostess when invited to a party or get together. Very pretty too.
Oct 28, 2010
Easy and awesome taste!! You don't even think its a makeover recipe because the flavor is so fabulous