Makeover Rum Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; add pecans. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, milk, rum, oil, applesauce and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine glaze ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 251 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 243mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 21, 2016
Its good. It doesn't taste light per se, but is heavy on the yellow boxed cake mix flavor. I halved the glaze, and it was the perfect amount (unless you want extra to put on individual slices). The individual slices crumbled easily when cut, but the cake as a whole stays together nicely.
Apr 11, 2015
our favorite cake
Jan 7, 2014
I made this rum cake for my family on new years eve, and it taste so good so i made another one the week after for my best friend she wanted the recipe so i shared the website with her.:-)
Dec 29, 2013
I made this cake for the first time and it turned out great! I followed the recipe exactly as written only using 2% milk instead of fat-free. I will definitely make this again!
Jun 21, 2011
So good and so easy!
Feb 2, 2011
I made this several times over the holidays and each time there was nothing left over to take home. Also, no one knew it the healthy version. Once, I mention that I had people asking me for the recipe.
Dec 21, 2010
Fantastic! Not just delicious, but beautiful, too.
Nov 27, 2010
This is a wonderful recipe, I've made this 4 times in the last 3-4 weeks, a great cake to take to work or give to hostess when invited to a party or get together. Very pretty too.
Oct 28, 2010
Easy and awesome taste!! You don't even think its a makeover recipe because the flavor is so fabulous
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.