- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; add pecans. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, milk, rum, oil, applesauce and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine glaze ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forMakeover Rum Cake
"our favorite cake"
"I made this rum cake for my family on new years eve, and it taste so good so i made another one the week after for my best friend she wanted the recipe so i shared the website with her.:-)"
"I made this cake for the first time and it turned out great! I followed the recipe exactly as written only using 2% milk instead of fat-free. I will definitely make this again!"
"So good and so easy!"
"I made this several times over the holidays and each time there was nothing left over to take home. Also, no one knew it the healthy version. Once, I mention that I had people asking me for the recipe."
"Fantastic! Not just delicious, but beautiful, too."
"This is a wonderful recipe, I've made this 4 times in the last 3-4 weeks, a great cake to take to work or give to hostess when invited to a party or get together. Very pretty too."
"easy and awesome taste!! You don't even think its a makeover recipe because the flavor is so fabulous"