Makeover Rhubarb Shortcake Dessert
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup reduced-sugar orange marmalade
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped walnuts
- Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and orange marmalade until blended; add the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in the rhubarb, milk and orange zest; pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Immediately spread over hot filling, sealing edges; sprinkle with nuts. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool for at least 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
This recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 332 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 8, 2017
Pretty easy to make. I left off the meringue since I'm not a fan.
May 25, 2015
Pretty good recipe. Anyone who has trouble making a pie crust should make this. The orange marmalade gives it a different twist. Would make this again.
Sep 19, 2014
It's Papua New Guinea. (note spelling...not paupa new guinea).Papua New Guinea is the name of a country.The capital is Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.