Makeover Rhubarb Shortcake Dessert
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup reduced-sugar orange marmalade
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped walnuts
- Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and orange marmalade until blended; add the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in the rhubarb, milk and orange zest; pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Immediately spread over hot filling, sealing edges; sprinkle with nuts. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool for at least 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 332 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 8, 2017
Pretty easy to make. I left off the meringue since I'm not a fan.
May 25, 2015
Pretty good recipe. Anyone who has trouble making a pie crust should make this. The orange marmalade gives it a different twist. Would make this again.
Sep 19, 2014
It's Papua New Guinea. (note spelling...not paupa new guinea).Papua New Guinea is the name of a country.The capital is Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.