Makeover Red Velvet Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the applesauce, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 14-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool to room temperature. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in flour mixture and vanilla. Spread between layers and over top of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 241 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 9, 2019
better frosting than cream cheese !
Jan 7, 2015
I haven't tried this yet but I think I will try pureed beets instead of food coloring and applesauce. I'm a little scared of the amount of food coloring.
Jul 28, 2013
I like the taste but not the texture. Overall, it is a good cake. Won 2nd place at my county fair!
Jul 13, 2013
My family and I love red velvet cake. I really liked this "made over" version. It is moist and delicious with less fat and calories.