Makeover Red Velvet Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the applesauce, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 14-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool to room temperature. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in flour mixture and vanilla. Spread between layers and over top of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 241 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 7, 2015
I haven't tried this yet but I think I will try pureed beets instead of food coloring and applesauce. I'm a little scared of the amount of food coloring.
Jul 28, 2013
I like the taste but not the texture. Overall, it is a good cake. Won 2nd place at my county fair!
Jul 13, 2013
My family and I love red velvet cake. I really liked this "made over" version. It is moist and delicious with less fat and calories.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.