- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 8 bacon strips
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastries. Transfer to two 9-in. pie plates. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain and crumble. In the same skillet, saute onions until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites, eggs, milk, cheese, spinach, onions, tomatoes, cornstarch, basil and pepper. Divide between pastries. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 quiches (8 servings each).
Reviews forMakeover Real-Man Quiche
"We were very disappointed in this. The frozen spinach gave it a really weird texture."
"This is in response to danajoanne420's question. I make a very similar quiche and it works great without a crust. Just be sure to generously spray the pan with cooking spray."
"I've made this for Easter Brunch last year and it was a big hit. i was wondering if you could you make this "crustless" and it be even more healthy?"
"This was delicious - definately a make again. I halved the recipe to just make 1 quiche. I added a package of baby bella mushrooms with the onions. I also used some chopped fresh tomato - patted dry with a paper towel. (not a fan of sundried tomatoes). My quiche took close to an hour to cook - but it was worth it. I think next time I will try precooking the crust."