Makeover Pumpkin Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; beat until well blended. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended. Stir in pecans.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 345 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 17, 2011
For those of you wondering how many eggs to use instead of egg substitute, it's 4 eggs. The regular recipe is Pumpkin Cake. There is a link on that recipe for this recipe. It's too bad they didn't link the regular recipe to this one.
Nov 4, 2011
Awesome recipe! Light & fluffy! However, if I don't want to use egg substitute, how many eggs should I use?
Oct 31, 2011
Tasty and good. Would not think of it as a lower calorie recipe. Of course the frosting is not lower calorie.I would only give five stars for a highly unusual recipe. I would make this again.Very easy to make.
Oct 1, 2011
This recipe sounds great just woundering if you was to be able to use just regular eggs and if can how many would it be.thanks.
Mar 20, 2011
This cake is delicious! Very moist cant tell you have cut calories. Will make it again!
Jan 31, 2010
This is the first cake I ever made from "scratch" and it was so good! Cake isn't my favorite dessert, but I loved this one!
Oct 30, 2008
I am going to try making this as close to sugar free as I can. I can't wait to try it out this weekend. Must do a trail run for Thanksgiving!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.