Makeover Poppy Seed Bread
This makeover is just as tender as the original recipe, but it only contains half of the cholesterol and saturated fat. With 113 fewer calories and 10 grams less sugar per slice, it’s a guilt-free treat. —Joanne B Jones, Salisbury, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 to 3 teaspoons fat-free milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the egg whites, applesauce and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Spread into a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 221 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Originally published as Makeover Poppy Seed Cake in Light & Tasty February/March 2006