Makeover Pecan Corn Pudding
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 2 cans (one 14-3/4 ounces, one 8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk and butter. Add cream-style corn, corn and onions. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour half the mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese and jalapenos. Top with remaining batter; sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
This recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 269 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 465mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Dec 7, 2015
I cut this recipe into a third. This was VERY good. Next time I will add more cheese and a little more pecans (personal preference). I also didn't put in the jalapenos because I can't eat anything spicy. Lastly, I didn't really make this "light"... I used regular cheddar cheese and regular butter. Still turned out beautifully. I will definitely be making again in the future!For the 3 - star review, if you had used the proper amount of butter it would not have been dry. I would definitely suggest giving it another shot!
Dec 1, 2015
I have no idea what reduced fat butter is nor do I think I care to know. Instead of jalapenos I use Serrano peppers. If you are going to use jalapenos DON'T remove the seeds or ribs. If you're going to do that you can use bell pepper instead. I don't use the pecans in this recipe because we like the texture and taste as is and also the kick that comes with the peppers.
Mar 27, 2012
Everyone loved the creamy goodness
Dec 26, 2011
this was good - but doesn't beat Southern Plantation Corn Bread
Nov 27, 2011
I made this for Thanksgiving and loved it, so did everyone at the table who tried it. The family says this recipe is definetly a keeper. I didn't have reduced fat butter or cheese so I guess mine wasn't very light but it was REALLY good.
Nov 24, 2011
I would make this again, but it was just a little dry, as I tried to make it using what I had on hand at the time. I didn't have "reduced fat butter," (isn't that an oxymoron or something? :)), so I cut back on the butter to 1/2 cup. I omitted the pecans since they are so expensive right now, and don't think the dish really needs them. I used four good sized jalapenos, and really expected a wallop of heat from them, but the dish was surprisingly mild. I served this dish at Thanksgiving, and everyone liked it. When I make it again, I will up the butter to the original 3/4 cup, though.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.