Makeover Peanut Butter Bars Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups reduced-fat creamy peanut butter, divided
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, cream 1 cup peanut butter, the butter, brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (batter will be thick).
- 2. Spread into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; spread with remaining peanut butter. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat frosting ingredients until light and fluffy. Spread over the peanut butter layer. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 237 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Peanut Butter Bars
"Makes a lot so it will feed a crowd. The frosting is delish! First time using reduced fat PB but overall the bars were well received and some asked for the recipe."
"These are my go-to healthy sweets! Can't get enough of them!"
"These are amazing. I made them for fathers day a few years ago and no one could tell they were a healthier version of the ones I made that are similar to a food network stars high fat peanut butter bars the previous year."
"I thought these bars were very dry and found ways to give the rest of the pan away. I only had old-fashioned oats in the cupboard, and that may have made the difference. I'll just enjoy smaller portions of the real stuff in the future."
"These were great! The texture from the oats is nice. I've made them a couple of times and needed to add a couple more tablespoons of milk to make the icing the consistency I needed to spread easily. I also probably substituted Smart Balance for the butter (original in the tub, not light). They also freeze well. Thanks for sharing!"
"These are fantastic! I probably wouldn't go so far as to call it a "healthy" recipe (hahaha)...but, my mom and I did a couple of things to further improve the stats. We used 1 c all-purpose flour and 1 c whole wheat flour in the batter. Then I also used maybe only a 1/3 c of the peanut butter on the top of the bars - just enough for a thin layer. My mom and daughter halved the frosting recipe and it all came together just right...imho. Definitely a keeper of a recipe!"
"i made it from a previous issue I got . It is great"
"I loved this recipe! These bars are very very good and I will make these again."