Makeover Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Roll
This dessert is so convenient to make ahead of time and keep in the freezer for company. Cake and ice cream make it the best of two worlds! The original recipe's caramel sauce was high in fat and calories. The makeover version tastes just as great—and makes a nice topping for ice cream, too. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + freezing
Makes12 servings (1-3/4 cups sauce)
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chopped pecans, optional
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; coat paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread ice cream over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and freeze until firm.
- Meanwhile, for caramel sauce, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and flour. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter. Serve with ice cream roll. Sprinkle with pecans if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with about 2 tablespoons sauce (calculated without pecans): 319 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Roll in Healthy Cooking June/July 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.