Makeover Old-Fashioned Banana Cake
When Jacqueline Kudron of Dracut, Massachusetts asked the Light & Tasty team to revamp her banana cake, we couldn't wait to give it a try. Luckily, this version is 171 calories lighter than Jacqueline's original and has 63% less fat. Best of all, the taste and moist texture of her specialty remains.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 cups cubed firm bananas
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Beat into dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in pineapple. Fold in the bananas, cherries and walnuts.
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour. Add the batter. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 304 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Mar 8, 2009
Never mind...I just misread. Fine reading teacher I am!
Mar 8, 2009
Since I am doing Weight Watcher's, I really need the caloric count and fat and fiber for the makeover cake. You did not give that.