Makeover Monterey Quiche
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes2 quiches (6 servings each)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 large egg whites, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups 1% small-curd cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 unbaked deep-dish pastry shells (9 inches)
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook onion in butter over medium-low heat until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a large bowl, combine 6 egg whites, eggs, cottage cheese, 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese, chilies, flour, baking powder, salt and onion mixture. In a large bowl, beat remaining egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into cheese mixture. Pour into pastry shells.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 265 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Apr 13, 2012
Taste great and very easy to make!
Nov 4, 2011
I have made this for family many times, it always being request. Sometime I add bacon or broccoli to it. Since we don't like hot stuff I skip the chilies. a must in my recipie box.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.